Have you ever wondered what a day in the life of a university student looks like? Today I’ll give you a glimpse into my life as first-year student. This is the real-life version: anyone who knows me knows I am never (always) late, occasionally (habitually) disorganised, and loves (detests) early mornings 😉

A DAY IN THE LIFE

8:30AM WAKE UP, WAKE UP, GET UP, GET UP, GET OUT OF BED (5 years later and this song is still my alarm…)

My Room

My alarm goes off and I snooze it. More than the acceptable amount of times.  At some point, I make my way out of my blanket burrito.

9:00AM BREAKFAST

O’Rorke Dining Hall

10:00AM MEDSCI142 LAB

Grafton Campus

I commence the long and strenuous journey (aka 15 min walk) to the Grafton Campus for my fortnightly MEDSCI142 Lab. This time we were dissecting a chicken’s hamstring muscles, last time it was a sheep heart, last last last time it was a rat 😮

1:00PM LUNCH

O’Rorke Dining Hall

2:00PM PHYS160 LECTURE

Human Science Building

Tiny desks = less surface area for sleeping ☹

This paper is about mechanics, thermal, electricity, waves, and medical physics. If you did NCEA Physics up to Level 3, you’ll probably realise that these all sound a little too familiar, and therefore you can afford to chill a bit.

3:00PM BIOSCI106 LECTURE

Owen G Glenn Building

All I can say is the day mitochondria went from being the powerhouse of the cell to the site of oxidative phosphorylation was a very sad day.

This paper is all about proteins, enzymes, carbohydrate metabolism, lipids, plant biochemistry, nutrition & antibiotics, and signal transduction. It builds a lot on BIOSCI101 which you take in Semester One.

4:00PM MEDSCI142 LECTURE

Owen G Glenn Building

Learning about the nervous system and realising your brain is learning about itself. Woah.

This paper is all about the nervous, cardiovascular, autonomic & endocrine, reproductive system, respiratory, renal, musculoskeletal & digestive systems of the body. This is all really new and fascinating stuff that we’ve never ever covered in high school.

*Disclaimer*: Let’s be honest, I don’t it always make it to all my lectures 😛

5:20PM GO GYM, GET HUGE

Auckland University Recreation Centre

After my lectures, I’m off to the gym – usually to one of the group fitness classes – mostly so I don’t feel guilty about wasting the free gym subscription as part of the halls.

6:30PM DINNER

O’Rorke Dining Hall

7:30PM THINGS THAT NEED TO BE DONE

O’Rorke Hall

Yeah we may not have to do dishes, but living in a hall comes with it’s own chores such as keeping your room sorta clean, doing your laundry, but mostly thinking you should really vacuum your room but never being able to find the thing.

8:00PM SINGING IN THE SHOWER

O’Rorke Hall

Time to have a shower so long that the automatic lights in the bathroom turn off 😛

9:00PM UP AND COMING DEADLINES

O’Rorke Hall

I’ll use this time to do any stuff due in the upcoming days like pre-labs, lecture quizzes, online assignments and lab reports.

10:00PM STUDY (PROCRASTINATE)

O’Rorke Hall 

I’ll use this time to study for any upcoming tests in the future. I prefer to go over things closer to the test or after finishing topics, so if there isn’t any coming up in the next week or so, I’ll just use this free time to relax, have a yarn with a few hall mates, or maybe even write a blog!

12AM CHEEKY SENSASH RUN

Sensational Chicken

Around this time, we’ll string a group of hungry people to make our way across the road (3 seconds from O’Rorke) to Sensational Chicken for a feed. My parents might as well start sending those weekly payments to Sensash directly, because that’s where it all ends up anyways 😉

1AM ZZZZZZ

My Room

After some late night reading, I’ll finally decide to catch some z’s.

Just a few of my current reads

It’s 1AM right now so goodnight y’all.

Ps. this blogging journey will be coming to a close soon…so chuck me any last-minute questions down below!