I’ve been a member of University Hall for two weeks now and it already feels like a lifetime. When you live at a University residential hall  (in my experience at least)- then your entire life is based around University with the unavoidable question“what are you studying” echoing your thoughts. Thats not to say you don’t get a break from laboratories, lectures and tutorials, because so far I have been on several adventures but all I’m saying is that there is nowhere you can escape University.

One thing I have learnt so far (asides from chemical hybridisation and epithelial tissue) is that Auckland does have some decent outdoor sights which is something I- as a person who goes to the beach every single day- appreciates.

Mission Bay Lookout

Chasing Waterfalls in the middle of the city

First things first, University Hall living:

Coming from a rural community five hours away I had no choice but to live in a residential hall. In all honesty at the beginning of last year I was torn between choosing a hall to live in.  What a  big decision it is, and one that theoretically will impact the friends you make and keep for the rest of your life. However, after visiting my twins room at O Rouke , I am glad to say that I 110% made the right decision in choosing university hall- if you want better storage, cleaner facilities and bigger rooms then I would strongly recommend choosing University Hall.

“What if we don’t get along?”

“What if I have no friends in my classes?”

“What if I get lost?”

If you’re anything like I am, then leading up to move in day these questions will go over and over again. My one piece of advice is not to worry because as long as you are a decent person then making friends is inevitable- it’s two weeks in and I have friends from all over the globe- South Africa, Fiji, Samoa, Dubai.

O-WEEK ANTICS: 

If you expect O-Week to be crazy, tiring and exciting then you are correct. O-Week was a jam packed week filled with crazy shenanigans- from getting to know my floor, to becoming floor family, to the honorary toga party, to late night burger fuel stops, to exploring mission bay and chasing waterfalls- it was a definitely a week to remember. It was a week filled with so many memories and shared with people that I can’t believe I have only just met.

Overall, be prepared for the lack of sleep because 8am lectures on Monday hit you really hard when you haven’t done those pre readings and then proceed to spend the rest of your first week struggling to catch up.

The only other thing I can say is to look forward to O-Week and University Life because it is amazing and without doubt you will come out of the first week wishing O-Week never ended and that you didn’t have to go to bed at a reasonable hour to wake up before the sun is up and spend your days indoors.

Fireworks at the lantern festival

Floor 3 fam (part of it anyway)

Feel free to post any questions below and I will try my bets to get back to you straight away.

Until next time- goodbye 🙂