My obsession with clubs

A lot of parts of high school really sucked. For me, one of the things that made it more tolerable was the existence of clubs and I’m sure that was the case for some of you guys too. I’ll be honest, I did join some clubs just so my school report would look better, but some of the clubs I was genuinely interested in. My friends and I even started a club where we just eat noodles and it’s still there today.

What do you mean by “Clubs are your answer to everything”?

Okay maybe saying that clubs are your answer to “everything” is a bit of an exaggeration, but clubs definitely can be the answer to some of your problems.

Have a hobby but no one to share it with?

Join a club.

Want to learn more about a certain skill and/or field?

Join a club.

Just want more friends?

Join a club.

The list goes on forever.

My first-hand experience

You can most likely tell from my name but in case you couldn’t, I’m Chinese. I was born in China and moved to New Zealand at a relatively young age, so as much as I would like to be in touch with my culture, I don’t have much of a connection to it. This was why I chose to join some clubs that are made up primarily of Chinese students. In these clubs, I could find people like me who immigrated at a young age and people who are here on an exchange. I found Interacting with these people very beneficial for me. I was able to immerse myself in an atmosphere that I haven’t felt in a long time, and most importantly, I got a chance to practice my rusty Chinese.Club activity

In high school I had a small close-knit group that I would always hang out with, but once university came around, that all became the past. We are all still friends but everyone’s lives just became more and more different from everyone else’s. So most weekends, I would just lie in bed at home. Club activities were the rare occasions where I would actually be excited and have a reason to get out of the house. They were a chance to meet up with friends or to make some new ones. Club activities can range from things like watching films together to group trips outside of Auckland. They’re always a lot of fun!

However

As much as I would like to encourage and tempt people to join clubs, I understand that some of us don’t have the luxury of time or money to participate. So you shouldn’t feel obliged to join a club but you can’t go wrong with joining one.

PS

I am not sponsored by any clubs!