University is a place we go to to get some help for our future. We want to become advertising specialists, lawyers, doctors, journalists, teachers – all those people we aspire to be.

Everyone thinks uni is about assignments which take forever to get done and pulling all nighters. But in reality, the university provides so many better opportunities to give you a head start in your future.

Here is a list of examples which relate to my degree:

• I’ve written two journalistic articles. One was after a press conference with the then-Minister of Immigration, Kris Faafoi. Another was in regards to homophobia within the NRL after a homophobic slur was used on the field.
  • I’ve been into a television broadcasting studio, where I directed and presented live interviews.
  • I also attended a workshop with the Australian and New Zealand Tour of The Book of Mormon.
  • There are internship courses available. Read more here.
  • There are career expos throughout the year. Bring your CV, I would recommend them!
  • Career Development and Employability Services (CDES) are easy to find in the Kate Edgar Information Commons. View their webpages here.

The university has loads of opportunities for us, these are just a few I can list from being a Communication student. TAKE THEM! They’ll give you a boost for employment at the end of your degree.