So I’m sure some of you may have a certain expectation about what moving into University accommodation would be like… but even if you don’t, that’s okay! My blog today is to share about my experience moving into Carlaw Park Student Village in 2023!

Orientation Week 2023

Aside from the O-week activities that the University has planned for each faculty, each student accommodation has their own activities planned throughout the week for you to meet your neighbors, make some new friends and get familiar with the place (including exploring Auckland!). I found the events engaging and I met some of my friends through these events. They provided a good space to orient around the accommodation grounds and the places around Auckland – we had some activities in the domain and even a hike up Mount Eden!

Above is the O-week schedule for Carlaw this year! I hope this gives you an idea of what to expect regarding activities in accommodation.

My favorite activity was the karaoke night where I sang a Taylor Swift song with my friend, and we even won a prize: a box of Cadbury chocolates!

If you can’t make it to O-week in accommodation, don’t sweat it! Some people I know arrived only when school started and they still managed to meet people. I know coming into university, you want to be making friends and meeting new people quickly but sometimes, the entire process can be overwhelming. If you’re not the most social being, like me, it can be tiring going for multiple events and meeting many people. Don’t feel pressured to go for all the events, it’s important to pick and choose the ones you are more likely to enjoy!

I’m feeling excited but nervous about moving in… 

Don’t worry, you’re not alone! I was definitely anxious about moving-in. If you’re in the same position as me, where you’re a first year moving into a self-catered residence, while most other first years are moving into catered halls, just know you’re not alone – I’ve already met some people in Carlaw Park who are first years too!

But yes, it can be nerve-racking. I was in the position where I knew no one from New Zealand (aside from family) and had just moved from a different country. That’s a lot of adjusting to do! Transitioning into a new environment can feel overwhelming. There are times you might find that other people might be “coping better” at things. They might seem to be having a really fun time while you might find it challenging. Just remember that everyone handles things differently and that’s perfectly okay. 

So don’t rush. And remember that you’re not alone – there are plenty of people in the exact same position as you (even if it doesn’t seem like it!). Just remember – there’ll be opportunities for you to meet people and the Resident Advisors (RA) in your accommodation will be there for support if you need. 

When should I move-in? Who are my flatmates and when are they moving in?

I definitely wanted to move in early so I could make friends earlier and find out who my flatmates were but that wasn’t the case.

Carlaw Park allows students to move in as early as 8 Feb which is about 2 weeks earlier than the first year halls of residence. Don’t be too anxious to move in immediately (unless you want to!). I started moving my things in early but only physically stayed there just before the start of O-week. In fact, my other flatmates didn’t move in until O-week itself. If I moved in earlier prior to O-week, I would’ve been alone in my flat! So…take your time to move-in, there’s no rush! 

You’ll also likely only find out who your flatmates are after your arrival and after they have moved in too. The reception doesn’t give out information on other people’s arrival dates. If it’s your first time flatting and meeting your flatmates, just say a simple “Hi!” and try to go together for O-week events with them, it’ll really help you to get to know them. 

So, there you have it! A little peek into my experience moving into Carlaw. Stay tuned for more content about Accommodation Life and exploring Auckland!