Many thanks for joining me in 2023! It’s been my pleasure to be a blogger on The Inside Word and I hope you all have found my content somewhat useful (especially you tiny baby aspiring doctors 😁). This is possibly my last blog for The Inside Word – here I share with you 4 compelling reasons that led me to pursue a career in medicine. 

1. The intellectual challenge

From managing and diagnosing complex cases to discovering new medical advancements, the medical field demands continuous growth and adaptability. Being a doctor means embracing a commitment to lifelong learning, critical thinking, and problem-solving. It’s a profession that thrives on intellectual stimulation, and for those of us who love a challenge, it’s the perfect fit.

2. The high stakes aspect

Medicine is a profession where stakes are exceptionally high. You’ll face situations where quick decisions can mean the difference between life and death.There is something about that adrenaline rush and intensity that brings a unique set of emotions and satisfaction. This is what drives us to continue to excel at the top. However, this isn’t the case for all specialties. As a result, I’m more interested in hospital/ emergency-based specialities over clinics/ ward-based specialties. 

3. Making a positive impact

One of the most fulfilling aspects of being a doctor is the opportunity to directly impact someone’s life. To care for patients is definitely a privilege, and it is beautiful and deeply rewarding to see the role you play in improving patients’ pain and suffering. I can recall numerous moments where I connected with a patient, heard their story and was involved in performing a life-saving procedure. It is a constant reminder of the purpose and meaning of the work we do as Doctors. 

4. Matching personality and values

Choosing a career that aligns with your personality and values is essential for long-term fulfilment. It is not just about helping people. In order to enjoy your career it has to match you. For me, it’s the values of compassion and integrity, along with the elements of resilience and commitment, combined with intellectual curiosity. And of course, I had the grades for it too ;). 

I know medical school offers are coming out in 6 weeks time, some of you will be delighted with the outcome while some will be disappointed. I remember the overwhelming joy of jumping up and down in my living room and screaming and yelling for 20 minutes straight, when I received my offer 3 years ago. If you receive the letter of acceptance, congratulations. Otherwise, try again. Life goes on. There is no limit to the number of times you can apply to medical school. Understand that if you genuinely try your best, your time will come and with hard work and dedication, any dreams can be achieved. I have seen so many people around me who have done exactly that. 

To finish off with a golden nugget of wisdom – anything that doesn’t kill you, and doesn’t get you arrested, is a fair game to try while you’re in medical school. Remember that. 

If you want to see my content in the future, welcome to check out my YouTube channel at https://www.youtube.com/@HarryTheAdventurer

Otherwise, all the best on your university journey and future endeavours, and don’t forget to say hi if you ever see me on campus! 

With eternal love and adoration,

Harry xo.